As we all look forward to those fun poolside times this Summer with family and friends, Natures Creations hopes you will keep these safety tips in mind to make your time more enjoyable.
No matter how safe you feel, additional measures and safety systems can contribute to the overall safety of a pool or spa. These simple steps save lives:
*BARRIERS- a 4Ft. or higher fence or other barrier without footholds or handholds for climbing with a clearance on the bottom of no more than 4in. apart. Gates that are self closing and self latching and the latch is out of a child’s reach.
*ALARMS- designed to alert adults when unsupervised children enter the pool. Some include: gate alarms which are activated when the gate is opened. Door alarms activated when the house door to pool area is opened. Window alarms activated when a window to the pool area is opened. Pool or spa floating or wave alarms are activated when the pool or spa water is displaced.
*SAFETY COVERS- pool or spa covers provide a high degree of safety for children 5 years old and under by prohibiting access to the water. The safety cover should withstand the weight of 2 adults and a child to allow for rescue. A cover should also be able to be easily and swiftly removed from the water to respond to any emergency. A cover meet or exceed industry safety specifications and be labeled as such.
STAYING SAFE IN RESIDENTIAL POOLS
1. Always watch children when near or in the pool or spa.
2. Teach children basic water safety tips.
3. Teach children to swim.
4. Keep children from pool drains and other openings to avoid entrapment.
5. Keep your phone available poolside.
6. Look first in the pool or spa when a child is missing.
7. Share safety instructions with all individuals using the pool.
8. Make sure your drains are compliant with the current safety codes to prevent entrapment.
CREATE A POOL SAFETY KIT
1. KEEP A FIRST AID KIT POOLSIDE IN A VISIBLE LOCATION
2. HAVE A PAIR OF SCISSORS AVAILABLE THAT WILL CUT HAIR, CLOTHING AND OR A POOL COVER IF NEEDED.
3. HAVE A CHARGED PORTABLE/CELL PHONE TO CALL 911
4. HAVE A FLOATATION DEVICE POOLSIDE IN A VISIBLE LOCATION
Dave and Chris Schneider and Natures Creations wish you many fun and enjoyable memories in your pool and spa this Summer. Should you have any questions or want additional information concerning your pool or spa or pool/spa safety, feel free to give Dave or Chris a call at 505-471-2600.
Additional information concerning pool safety as well as great kid friendly safety videos can be found at www.poolsafety.gov